Australian women and children linked to ISIS forced back to Syrian camp

A group of Australian families with ties to Islamic State fighters have been forced to turn back after leaving a Syrian camp to return to Australia.

Syrian media reported that a total of 24 people from 11 families left the al-Rooj camp in northeastern Syria on Monday morning local time.

The ABC said there were actually 34 people in the group and the family was heading to the Syrian capital Damascus, where they were planning a subsequent trip to Australia.

The ABC also said the family had already been issued Australian passports.

However, shortly after leaving the camp, the ABC reported that Syrian authorities were not allowing the Australian family’s convoy to proceed to the capital, and they now had to return to Al Rozi camp.

Syria’s al-Rozi camp holds thousands of people, including dozens of Australians. (ABC News: Heidi Pett)

The convoy was being escorted by Kurdish security forces, which still control parts of northeastern Syria, including the area where al-Roj camp is located.

The Kurdish guards relayed a message to the Australian family that the Syrian authorities would not allow them to continue their journey.

The Federal Government said in a statement that it would not assist families in returning to Australia.

“The Australian government has not repatriated people from Syria and has no intention of repatriating them,” he said.

“Our security services have and continue to monitor the situation in Syria in preparation for Australians seeking to return to Australia.

“People in this group need to know that if they commit a crime and return to Australia, they will face the full force of the law.

“The safety of Australians and the protection of Australia’s national interests remains our top priority.”

The Australian government has not confirmed whether it has issued passports to the group.

‘Take my people’ camp asks Australia to repatriate families

Dozens of Australian women and children have been held in camps and prisons in Syria after the so-called Islamic State caliphate was defeated by US-led forces in 2019.

The women were partners of members of terrorist groups who were imprisoned or killed, or were believed to be by the authorities.

The first group of Australians consisted of four women and 13 children. They were released from Al Roy camp in 2022..

It was still there last year More than 30 Australians in the camp wanted to return home.one of the women told ABC.

The camp’s director, Hakumieh Ibrahim, told the ABC earlier this month that he had urged foreign governments to send their nationals home.

“My message is not just for Australia, but for all countries. Take your people, take your children, take your women,” she said.

Hakumiye Ibrahim called on all foreign governments to repatriate their nationals held in detention camps. (ABC News: Heidi Pett)

Ibrahim said time was of the essence as children were growing up surrounded by “dangerous ideas and ideologies” in the camp.

“We brought families of ISIS women and children here in 2017, and now it’s 2026,” she said.

“The more time passes, the more complicated the situation becomes.”

Loading

Latest Update