The agency shared the appeal in a statement on its official social media accounts on Tuesday, confirming that it is actively working to contact survivors amid concerns.
After the video went viral, the hashtag #StopRapingWomen took over X (formerly Twitter), with thousands of users calling for urgent action against sexual assault and stronger protections for survivors.
The survivor, identified as Mirabell (@mirab351 on TikTok), posted on Monday about the assault that occurred on Sunday, February 15th.
She explained that she suffers from insomnia and had been drinking to sleep around 6am when she heard a knock at 9am.
“I thought it was my neighbor…I immediately opened the door and was pushed back, hit my head on the fridge and passed out,” she said.
When she regained consciousness, she said, “There was a man on top of me and he had a cloth stuffed in his mouth. I was just there mumbling… It was Sunday and most people were going to church… Then he left. I was bleeding… He used a face knife to cut me.”
Mirabel initially mistook the bleeding for a period, but then received a message request from the suspect, identified as “Priston,” who confessed:
“You probably don’t know me because you decided to close your eyes even when I woke up… We met twice and you kept ignoring me… I had to pay the boys to stop my empty bike… You complimented the way I spoke and told me I smelled nice, but you still wouldn’t give me your phone number.”
He graphically described the attack with fingers and a knife and her body, warning: “I cut you with a knife in the face to simulate that I was the first person there,” and warned:
“My father has the money to bury this case right before it goes to court… You can’t find me and you don’t even have the money… Why go get a baby punani when you often irritate men… In the near future, maybe in 4-5 years, we will meet again and date… I love you, don’t think I’m a bad person, I get it, you turned me down twice.”
In a new video on Tuesday, a tearful Mirabel revealed that she had attempted suicide by drinking sniper poison, and credited a friend for taking her to the hospital.
“I’m too tired to reply to messages. I’ll reply when I feel better, thank you,” she said.
The Lagos Domestic Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) said it had “taken note of several tags and public concerns regarding the video currently circulating on social media” regarding a video in which a young woman shared her experience of being allegedly sexually assaulted.
The agency stressed that its team is “actively working to contact the survivor and confirm her whereabouts in order to provide prompt assistance and appropriate intervention.”
The agency appealed to the public for assistance in the search, adding: “If anyone has reliable information to contact her directly and safely, please contact us by sending a DM on any of our official social media channels.”
DSVA also reaffirmed the Lagos State Government’s commitment to protecting survivors, stating, “Sexual assault is a crime and all survivors deserve protection, care, support and justice. Reports will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and urgency.”
For those seeking assistance or wishing to report incidents, authorities provided multiple communication channels, including phone numbers 0813-796-0048 and 0-8000-333-333, USSD *6820# (MTN), WhatsApp 0812-893-7058, and the official website. https://ekoselfreport.ng.
The incident occurred just a week after another TikTok user, Fems (@femsbaby_x), reported that she and a friend were raped after a modeling shoot. After sharing her harrowing experience on TikTok, she was able to receive guidance and support to pursue her case.
On February 12, Fems said she was introduced to Ikeja Gender Unit by Fuji star Wasiu Ayinde Marshall’s (K1) daughter Baal. Dami Marshall also provided legal assistance after an initial report to another broadcaster was ignored.
She added that the case is now being taken “very seriously” and thanked the community for its support, as well as appealing for financial assistance to cover legal and related costs.
Following both incidents, Spokesman of the Lagos State Police Command, SP Abimbola Adebisi, said the posts had been forwarded to the Gender Affairs Unit of the command, adding: “I have also contacted her through her TikTok handle and I sincerely hope that she will respond to assist the police in their thorough investigation.”